Academic Credit Internships (BA 401)
The BA 401 Course is a one-credit course designed to support College of Business Administration upper division majors and minors in completing for-credit internships.
The College of Business Administration and SDSU Career Services collaborate in providing students BA 401.
Special note for Management majors:
You are required to take MGT 401 not BA 401.
The information on this site is specific to BA 401, not MGT 401.
To learn more about MGT 401, contact the Management Department directly.
The BA 401 course requires advanced planning and collaboration with other on-campus offices.
For any item that involves review or approval by another on-campus office, allow up to 5 weeks for processing and approval.
Note that all paperwork is due by the following dates:
- Friday, May 2nd, 2014 if a new Service Learning Agreement (SLA) must be processed.
- Friday, May 16th, 2014 if we already have a Service Learning Agreement (SLA) on file.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Verify that your internship will take place (start and be completed) in summer 2014.
Here's a link to the semester calendar to check dates:
- Verify that you are currently either a College of Business major or minor.
Check via the WebPortal and your unofficial transcript:
- Be sure that you are registered on Aztec Career Connection:
- Research possible internships using Aztec Career Connection http://go.sdsu.edu/student_affairs/career/azteccareerconnection.aspx.
(You need to log in to your account.
If you don't have an account, you must create one to be able to see the list of available internships).
- Complete required documents:
- Service Learning Agreement (SLA).
If one is on file, this part of the application process is complete.
However, if an SLA is not on file, the company/branch will need to complete one.
- Create a Student Profile (pdf)
- Secure an Employer Internship Verification Letter (pdf)
Important Dates/Information for Summer 2014:
- Last day to add and drop classes is Monday, June 2nd, 2014.
- All students in BA 401 are required to attend an internship prep workshop in SDSU Career Services (SSE-1200) – Friday, June 6th, 2014 from 10:00–11:30 a.m.
- All students in BA 401 should complete an ongoing internship-based project during their internship. See Internship Project Overview (pdf) for specific details.
- All students in BA 401 are required to schedule an individual update meeting with Dr. Tarbox in SDSU Career Services between – dates to be announced in the course syllabus.
- All students in BA 401 must complete a final internship PowerPoint presentation, which is due to Dr. Tarbox by 4:00 PM on – date to be announced in the course syllabus.
- All students in BA 401 must successfully complete the internship and obtain a "Completion letter" from their internship supervisor.
BA 401 Contact Information:
For course requirements, and other matters, contact:
James J. Tarbox, Ph.D. (Director)
SDSU Career Services SSE-1200
Tel: (619) 594-4379
5500 Campanile Drive, MC 8255
San Diego, CA 92182-8255
In all correspondence with BA 401 contacts, be sure to include current phone number and email.